People have used cold water therapies for centuries as a treatment to invigorate and enhance their overall well-being.
Some scientific studies support the beneficial effects of cold showers on mental and physical health.
I take a cold shower each day for the simple fact that they have so many benefits and make me feel great!
Here are the benefits i have personally experienced from incorporating cold showers into my daily rituals:
- Boosts the lymphatic system
- Tightens skin and boosts collagen production
- Strengthens the immune system
- Improves athletic performance and recovery
- Strengthens cardiovascular system
- Reduces inflammation
- Lowers stress
- Builds resilience to stressful conditions and cold weather
- Helps sleep
- Releases feel good endorphins
- Energises and increases focus
Aaron Drogoszewski, co-owner of ReCover studio in New York City and a NASM-certified personal trainer, said “The adrenaline rush you get from immersing yourself in cold water creates a rush of norepinephrine, which helps increase energy, focus, and performance outcomes.”
- Start with a 3/4 minutes warm shower then switch to cold for a minute and then back to warm for 3/4 mins again
Do this throughout you daily shower to start with then as you get used to it extend the cold part for longer and reduce the warm part. Soon you will he showering for 4/5 mins cold.
Some people should exercise caution when taking cold showers. This includes people with weaker immune systems and those with serious heart conditions, such as congestive heart failure. This is because the sudden changes to body temperature and heart rate may overwhelm the body.
If a person is not sure if a cold shower could benefit them, they should ask their doctor.
I would be interested to know how you get on – let me know in the comments if you give it a go!